Sunday 15 May 2011

The Diffuser...Well my first one anyway

Wahoo, my first proper part! The diffuser produces roughly a quarter of an F1 cars downforce, so it is of the upmost importance. It can be up to a metre wide, and 12.5cm/ 7.5cm high. Firstly, For my own diffuser, I decided to have a Venturi tunnel occupying the outer 2.5cm on each side. This tunnel is similar to those seen on Front Wing Endplates, and the Toro Rosso Diffuser, and it is likely that I will shape it further, once other concepts are on the car. At the moment the diffuser shape itself is quite simple, and is very common of 2011 F1 car designs. On the top of the edge of the diffuser are 20mm gurney tabs, the maximum allowed in the current regulations. The Most interesting feature of the diffuser at the moment is the wing shaped starter motor hole. I shaped the slot so it is effectively a wing inside the diffuser, with the air underneath moving quicker than air above it, with a possible view to blowing exhaust gases into the starter motor hole. The final feature on the diffuser at the moment, is the pair of strakes. These act to push air out to the sides, and direct the air better as to avoid drag.

Here are a few images of the first iteration of my diffuser.

Rear Shot

Showing the wing shaped starter motor hole gap


Everybody likes venturi tunnels...and gurneys.

No comments:

Post a Comment